Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Insert random post name...

... So my second blog post. My friends continue to bother me to write another (did you think I did this on my own accord?) :P. Obviously I jest. This post is going to be about ranting, gosh what a wonderful way to start a blog! I wouldn't have made this post if it weren't for my birthday not too long ago (3 days ago in fact). I turned 16 (scary I know), and something that bothered me was either everyone asked me what my birthday party plans were (cause apparently when you turn 16 you MUST have a party, I am having one but that's currently besides the point) or what my life plans were, because we all know exactly the point and time that we will get a job, what we will do in that job, when we'll start dating, when we'll go to college, when we'll get married, how many kids we'll be having, etc. etc. etc. It really was bothersome when it seemed as a 16yo young women either expectations were set really low, or really high... Most of my elders, well they had pretty low expectations for what I would be doing in my near future, have a party, perhaps get a job, maybe go to college and attend more parties, probably fail at life because I either get addicted to drugs or something rather unspeakable (I'm exaggerating a bit, but still I'm hoping to get a small point here across). It would seem that is what is expected of the majority of my generation. Or the opposite would happen, this was a less common expectation but none the less an expectation. This expectation was set WAY too high. It seemed as if the people who had this expectation assumed Docter Who showed me my future as I took notes. Alright so I'm not saying that there are people out there who have met either of these expectations! There are. But I only wanted to state my opinion when it came to the low expectations mostly because they are rather depressing. Obviously expectations come from somewhere, it's not like all of us teens have been impeccably and absolutely proper, and kind, and polite. But there are set people who do work against the current, these teens do want to make a difference. The sad thing is since it's abnormal for a teen to do this we are swept into the rest of the group of teens being judged and given low expectations from our elders, as well as not to mention harassment from some of those peers because of the way we are different. The message I'm trying to get across here (I know you're probably like get to the point already!) is that yes, adults, it is possible for us teens to meet high expectations, and peers who harass those that are different for the better, don't! Rather you should look up to them and see why they do what they do. No they are not a freak of nature because they are responsible or mature at the age of 13. Also to those that are the difference I encourage for you to continue! Even as hard as it is and as slow as it is, you are making a difference, in fact YOU are the difference. Don't just do it for that feel good way when you accomplish something do it because there is much more to strive for then in this world. When nobodys is looking, God is. So continue in your good works and know that someone is noticing. And trust me when I say how hard it is to strive against the current, because I often fail myself (alas I am human :P) but it is most definitely going to be worth it in the end!

Blessings,
Moira

P.S. If you want to know more, or if I did a bad job at making my point check out the book "Do hard things" the authors of this book do an amazing job explaining how we teens can raise the expectations bar and do hard things (as it says on the cover).

No comments:

Post a Comment